Sunday, July 01, 2007

South African Chenin Blanc

This weekend my wife and I opened a bottle of "2005 Man Vintners Chenin Blanc" from South Africa. This rocked our socks off. We really enjoyed it. The wine was off-dry and very fruity, a fantastic summertime wine.

We had gotten into a rut of bad Rieslings and Pinot Grigios recently. I was feeling pretty down on the whole white wine thing again. Then we tried this Chenin Blanc; it really opened my eyes. We're definitely going to try a few more Chenin Blancs from South Africa (though nobody really has a huge selection of them). We might even try it's French cousin Vouvray. Vouvray is Chenin blanc from the Vouvray region in France. Rule number one for Chenin Blanc though, Don't by the crap we make in the US...

1 comment:

Epi-Uncentered said...

Chenin Blanc is my favorite summer wine.

The Loire Valley is really the home of this fantastic grape, and I reccomend the George Merguey 2005 Vouvray as well as the Champalou 2005 Vouvray.

I recently tried a South African Chenin Blanc at a restaurant somewhere and was SO happy to discover that South Africa is doing right by this grape. I found your blog while looking for some reccomendations.

Enjoy your Vouvray!